Online Baccarat Rules
Learn the Rules of Online Baccarat and See How it is Played
Europe has inspired many of today’s iconic and modern casino games and baccarat is just another such game. It may be the oldest there is with roots going all the way back to the 13th century, or more precisely 1490. Presently, baccarat and online baccarat is one of the principal offers for table games across land-based and online casinos, especially Las Vegas casinos, where it was introduced in the 1950s as one of the biggest card game attractions.
The name signifies ‘zero’ and alludes to the value of Ten, Jack, Queen and King (read below to find out about the card values). The most widespread version of modern online baccarat is Chemin De Fer. This variation actually counted as a predecessor to modern baccarat and can be found across many online casinos where online baccarat is offered. The advantage in playing online baccarat is the very low house edge. The average house edge for banker bets is 1.17, while the player bet house edge is around 1.36 on average. This makes online baccarat one of the lowest house edge games next to video poker and blackjack. The only difference is that in baccarat skills cannot be used, but you can use various strategies that can help you to eliminate the edge.
The reputation of baccarat is that it is a game preferred by wealthy people and those that like to make insanely large bets. In the past rich baccarat players placed minimum bets that no ordinary player would dare to make, and there is even the case of a Japanese player that once competed for $12 million in Atlantic City with a bet of $200,000.
Online Baccarat Rules
The game essentially is centered on two hands consisted of minimum two cards, and a maximum of three cards. The point is to bet which hand will win. You can also bet if there will be a tie, but very few players make that bet.
- You are allowed to bet on the banker hand, the player hand or on a tie.
- In online baccarat it is just you against the computer and between 6 and 8 decks are used. The computer always bets on the banker hand. If you play online baccarat as a live dealer game, then you play against a real-life dealer.
- Once you have placed your bet, the dealer will deal two cards to each hand.
- Depending on the hand totals, a third card may be needed for one or for both hands.
- The hand that has a total of eight or nine wins. A nine hand total is called a natural hand.
- The card values are a bit different than, for example, blackjack. Here, all cards from 1 to 9 are worth the same, but Tens, Jacks, Queens and Kings are worth 0. So, for example, when you have a hand consisted of a 5 and a Jack, your hand total is 5.
- If your hand total is a double digit total, than you have to drop the first digit. For example, if you have a hand consisted of 5 and an 8, which totals to 13, you actually have only 3.
- In online baccarat the entire game is automated, so you don’t have to request a third card if you need one, instead the computer will do that for you. Essentially, you just have to make the bet.
The Three Online Baccarat Bets
Both the banker and the player bets pay even money (1 to 1). But, the banker bet always has a 5% commission. It is a way of the casino to gain profit from the game. However, despite the commission, the banker bet is the preferred bet because of the lower house edge. The third bet, Tie, pays a lot more. Some online casinos pay 9 to 1, some 8 to 1, but it is the least likely outcome so casino players tend to avoid it. Statistically speaking it is one of the worst bets, although some people still make it just for the adrenaline.
The Objective and the Basics of Online Baccarat
Your aim is to predict which hand will have the highest hand total. The highest total is 9. So, if you think the banker will have the higher rank, then you bet on the banker hand. If you think the player will have the better hand, you bet on the player. If you think a tie will occur, you place a Tie bet.
The game starts with the dealer giving two cards to the banker and the player hand. When the cards have been dealt, the numbers in each hand are added up to form the hand total. The closest hand total to 9 wins. There is no bust, like in blackjack, but instead, as mentioned above, if the hand total is a double digit total, you just remove the first digit. So, an 18 becomes an 8, a 16 becomes a 6 etc. The hand total can be anything between 0 and 9. Additional card can be drawn, but only one.
The Rule of the Third Additional Card
After the first two cards have been drawn, there may be a need for an additional third card. The third card is given automatically by the dealer according to the rules, and you are not required to make any kind of request for it. This card is given only in the following cases:
- Third card is not given if the totals of both hands are 8 or 9.
- The player hand doesn’t receive a third card if he has a 6 or 7.
- The banker hand receives a third card if the total is 5 or less.
- The player hand receives a third card if the total is 5 or less.
If the player hand has received a third card, the banker hand can receive a third card as well only if the hand total is:
- 0, 1 or 2.
- The hand total is 3, while the third card in the player hand is anything else but 8.
- The hand total is 4, while the third card in the player hand is anything between 2 and 7.
- The hand total is 5, while the third card in the player hand is anything between 4 and 7.
- The hand total is 6, while the third card in the player hand is 6 or 7.
- If the banker hand total is 7, no third card is given.